3.29.2010

Coming This Week: "An Uptight Copyright Is All That You Are"

Is it me, or is this a really boring week in comics? There really are no books coming out this week that I purchase regularly, and just a small group that even mildly caught my eye. Detective Comics #863 (DC) is out, which I might purchase just to finish out the arc from Greg Rucka and Jock, but DC has really managed to suck all of the life out of this title. Not only is JH Williams III not coming back as originally planned, now the rumored ongoing Batwoman title featuring him is highly in doubt (according to his Twitter feed anyway). To make matters worse, this will not only be the last issue of this arc, but the last with the main story by Rucka and the last Williams cover. After that it’s a rotating band of creators with no clear direction or appeal for the title. At this point, it just feels like the plan is “just publish something!” until the 900 and 1,000 issue milestones are hit. Will this book ever be special again? I’ll not be sticking around to find out. I felt a fleeting glimmer of hope when I saw that Cloak & Dagger #1 (Marvel) was hitting the shelves, but that quickly faded as I realized it was not the mini-series penned by Valerie D’Orazio, but just a one-shot by someone else I’m not a fan of. What ever happened to that book anyway? Justice League of America #43 (DC) is also out, but there’s no way in hell I’ll be buying that after the crap that was last issue, which is sad to admit considering my affinity for Dick Grayson. Lastly, I see X-Men: Second Coming #1 (Marvel) finally kicks off, with the (assumable) return of Cable and Hope to the present day in their time-jumping adventures. I’m sort of mildly curious enough to give this a flip after enjoying early issues of X-Force from Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, the same writers here, but doubt I’ll make a purchase since I don’t want to get sucked into another less than satisfying mutant crossover. Is that really it? Man, I hope something from the small press rack catches my eye, because this is a paltry haul for the week. I guess I’ll go back to reviewing mini-comics…

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

That's terrible news about Detective - I obviously haven't been paying enough attention to the solicitations. Looks like I might have to drop it too.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hey Matt, yeah it really is a disappointment. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home