6.07.2010

Coming This Week: "Don't Try To Understand Me, Just Simply Do The Things I Say"

If last week was a bit of a drought, this week could be a flood in terms of things I’m interested in and could be potentially purchasing. Let’s start with the things I’ll definitely be picking up. Daytripper #7 (DC/Vertigo) is out, and the series has been a treat on so many levels. It’s an ethereal story about life, terrific pencils, stunning inks, and the ability to create discussion amongst friends about the structure. On the superhero end of the spectrum, it’s doesn’t get much better than Invincible Iron Man #27 (Marvel) by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca. S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 (Marvel) is also (over) due this week; it’s taken some flack online, but I really enjoyed how different it is, putting a historical context around the Marvel Universe. The off again, on again, mostly off again relationship with Uncanny X-Men #525 (Marvel) will continue this week. Last of the sure bets is Terry Moore’s Echo #22 (Abstract Studio), a finer independent (essentially self-published) title probably doesn’t exist; it’s a book that has proven it can play all sides of the ball, from sheer entertainment to dogged craftsmanship, it’s really a sight to see.

I might consider Batman #700 (DC) just to behold the spectacle of the milestone. The solicit kinda’ cracks me up though; touted as an “all star line up,” it lists Grant Morrison, Tony Daniel, Andy Kubert, and Frank Quitely. Sure, I’d consider three of those names “all stars,” which one doesn’t belong? The Avengers onslaught continues with Avengers Academy #1 (Marvel) out this week from Christos Gage and Mike McKone. This is probably the title of the bunch I’m least likely to end up supporting, but I’ll give it it’s due flip through at the LCS. It looks an awful lot like the Kabuki: Reflections books, but David Mack’s new Dream Logic #1 (Marvel/Icon) promises original story and art along with all of the behind the scenes technique content. I’m not sure if it’ll warrant the $5.99 price tag, even for 48 pages, but I’m sure it’ll look great. I’m not a huge Ted McKeever fan, but the cover alone to Meta 4 #1 (Image) looks extremely intriguing, sort of a Stanley Kubrick meets sequential art type of vibe. I believe Daredevil #507 (Marvel) is the last issue of this arc co-written by Antony Johnston. I honestly can’t say that it’s blown me away, but it’s solid storytelling and I’m curious to see how it all pans out for Matt Murdock. Also of note this week is the last issue of the little psychedelic Brendan McCarthy project, with Spider-Man: Fever #3 (Marvel).

On the graphic novel front, Neil Young’s Greendale (DC/Vertigo) looks very promising, merging the talents of Joshua Dysart, Cliff Chiang, and Dave Stewart. I don’t know anything about it in terms of premise or background, but honestly you had me at “Cliff Chiang.” I really like Ashley Wood’s art, but his art books feel very repetitive, often recontextualizing the same images in slightly different packaging, sometimes with writer T.P. Louise (who bores me to tears) so who knows what the contents of Ashley Wood F.I. #1 (IDW) will be. Lastly, I was surprised to see Nothing Better: Volume 2: Into the Wild (Dementian Comics) from Tyler Page. I remember really liking the first issue of this book, and then it seemed to disappear. Not sure if the singles stopped and it moved to a trade only model, but I must have missed the first volume. In any case, a quirky fun series with very attractive art.

3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

You know I'm on board for daytripper #7. A more accurate statement would probably read something like, rabid bison couldn't tear me away from purchasing the remainder of this series. :) Always glad to see you plug this title.

Quick question, though; I'm wondering why you said that Terry Moore's Echo is "essentially self-published." From my understanding, his work is completely self-published. Am I misinformed or simply reading too much into the word choice?

Curious,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

I'm really excited to see how Daytripper continues/wraps up!

It's probably half you reading too much into the word choice, and half me not being precise enough.

I keep seeing reference to Abstract Studio as an "independent publisher," which, to me, gives the impression it's a publishing house that would put out works by other creators (ala Image Comics), but it's really a self-publishing venture (ala Elephant Eater) to my knowledge.

Perhaps this is just a semantic distinction between "independent publisher" and "self-publisher?" I think self-publishers are always considered independent, but independent publishers are not necessarily involved with self-publishing.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Sounds accurate. ...and I'd agree with the semantic argument for Independent Publisher vs. Self-Publisher and their relation to one another.

Not to get nit-picky...just trying to figure out the question you had (and now I have the same), of whether Terry Moore's Abstract Studio publishes more than just himself. From the title bar of the Abstract Studio homepage (see top of your internet browser) it looks like it's the, "...home of Terry Moore's Strangers In Paradise and Echo." Doesn't sound like he publishes anyone else.

Mystery solved, <:)
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home