5.16.2011

Blogger Go Boom

As I’ve been reporting over the weekend, during “routine maintenance” (famous last words), Blogger took a major cloud fart in the latter part of last week, which caused them to revert to an old version, which meant they backed up until Wednesday, which meant that I lost all posts and comments that had been created for the two days following. From what I can tell, this means that I only actually lost 5 posts. It’s definitely annoying. At first, I was very hopeful because the Blogger team appeared to be communicating fairly promptly and quite transparently to their vast army of users. Some time around Friday night though, they claimed nearly everything was restored, though only a single one of my posts had been restored, and of course it was one of the least important ones. And then all went dark for the weekend. At this point, the final update has been made and there’s nothing further to wait on, my content is lost. My sympathies to anyone who lost even more content to the ether, or worse yet, some form of revenue. I really don’t have the energy to recreate the 2 meatier posts. In any case, here’s basically what you missed;

Reviews @ Poopsheet Foundation: I posted my usual links to my mini-comics and small press reviews over at the Poopsmith Foundry, which included THE GREATEST STORY EVERY TOLD by Rey King, SIGH FI TALES #1 by Macedonio, and OWE APOSTROPHE by O’Shell. Luckily, this content exists over at PF. I can’t honestly wholeheartedly recommend any one of these books, but if I had to choose one for the sake of solidarity, I would definitely go with OWE APOSTROPHE for it’s sparse art style that kinda’ goes a little Ivan Brunetti at times, while highlighting the universal generational gap between father and son. Check them out if you’re so inclined.

Weekly Reviews @ 13 Minutes: I reviewed 3 books for 5/11/11, which included NORTHLANDERS #40 (DC/Vertigo) by Brian Wood and Matthew Woodson, BATMAN INCORPORATED #6 (DC) by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham, and THE LONE RANGER #25 (Dynamite Entertainment) by Brett Matthews, John Cassaday, and Sergio Cariello. NORTHLANDERS was a terrific one-shot issue focusing on a hunter contemplating his own identity and purpose in life as he tracked an elusive deer. Woodson’s art was breathtaking and I rated it a Grade A. BATMAN INCORPORATED surprised me with a coherent Morrison script that paired Silver Age glee with a robust Bat Family as Bruce begins to franchise globally. That’s a nice hook and I might be tracking down the back issues. Burnham’s art was a delicious blend of Frank Quitely sinew and George Perez detail, and this also received a Grade A. THE LONE RANGER was actually the final issue of the series, which delivered solid action, but wasn’t quite as contemplative as previous issues. The art was strong, Cariello was channeling his usual 1960’s Joe Kubert vibe, but it did stumble in clarity just a pinch. Overall, the series is quite a success, but the last issue only landed a Grade B+.

Third Trip @ Borders Apocalypse Now Sale: I’ve been chronicling my adventures to the Borders nearest my house, which is shutting down. My third trip saw me taking advantage of the progressive discount sale with 70% off a three volume sampler of Naoki Urasawa’s MONSTER. I like elements of it, but it’s not my favorite Urasawa book, as compared to PLUTO: URASAWA X TEZUKA or the epic 20TH CENTURY BOYS. There are some interesting criminal profiling notes in MONSTER that appeal to the law enforcement guy in me, but the retro robot affection present in PLUTO captures my heart, while the pop political statements influenced by post-WWII reconstructionism in Japan permeating 20TH CENTURY BOYS captures my mind. Here’s a teaser, expect a fourth (and final) post regarding yet another (my last, I promise!) trip to Borders, which occurred late on Friday. It was crazy.

5 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jay Jacot said...

Justin,

I had the same issue, though my meager 1 post was eventually restored.

I'm not sure if you want to try this or not, but here's an Idea where you may be able to restore your content.

Before the meager page was restored on my blog it was still live on the web though it wasn't linked to my blog. for example (using your blog,) if thirteenminutes.blogspot.com wasn't showing this post "Blogger Go Boom" on you main page (thirteenminutes.blogspot.com) you could still access the live page through it's direct URL (http://thirteenminutes.blogspot.com/2011/05/blogger-go-boom.html) The main portion lost wasn't the content but your blogger account attaching it to the RSS feed and association with your blog.

Try navigating directly to the URL using this basic formula. (http://thirteenminutes.blogspot.com/yyyy/mm/"title-with-words seperated-by-dashes".html)

When blogger was down I navigated to my lost page this way and backed up the page just in case it didn't return. Hopefully this means that the pages aren't lost for you but they only lack association to your feed.

Thanks for the recap of the lost info, always enjoy stopping by.

-Jay Jacot
j2comics.blogspot.com

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the tip! I tried that and wasn't successful. I was also hoping that Google might have cached it, but I don't think the Googlebot had a chance to do its (I think weekly?) trawl of the web before the boom boomed. Oh well, I'm over it.

Thanks for stopping by,

Justin

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Jaime said...

Hey Justin,

I can still see your posts through my Google Reader. I'm going to e-mail a couple of them to you to that hotmail account linked on your name.

I'll send over the Review post and your Dead Corpse 3 post. The other posts that are missing just seem to be links to Poopshoot stuff.

Jaime

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Jaime,

You, sir, are a steely eyed web master.

Thanks!

Justin

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

[Thanks to a 13M reader, here are the capsule reviews from last week that Blogger failed to restore.]

Northlanders #40 (DC/Vertigo): Matthew Woodson comes on for this one-shot issue with a lean thin line weight, along with liberal inks for mood, and absolutely captures this tale of solitary thought. He’s able to manage the hollowed emotions of the hunter and the surprise of the deer as it bolts with equal skill. We follow the parallel paths of a deer and the proverbial hunter as Brian Wood questions man’s place in the natural world. It would be intellectually dishonest of me not to note the tie to the theme of the protagonist’s identity here, because while he touches on family dynamics and timeless differences between urban and rural ways of life, the primary concern is just who he is and what his purpose in life is. Slowly, we learn of his stubborn dedication to the task at hand, and it takes on greater significance because of the symbolic meaning it holds about his lone purpose in a cold world. Grade A.

Batman Incorporated #6 (DC): Chris Burnham might just be the best thing to happen to the franchise since Frank Quitely. Man, his art is beautiful, with a slick consistency I’ve been craving. It blends the sinewy energy of Frank Quitely with the compact detail of someone like George Perez. This type of thing should be the bare minimum level of quality in the DCU, but sadly it’s not. Burnham’s art is able to deliver in a wide range of settings, whether humor, action, or talking heads sequences. It’s the type of art you want to just stare at, and that’s saying something for a DCU book. Grant Morrison has been more “miss” than “hit” with me in the last few years, but he seems to balance Silver Age glee with modern sensibility just right in this issue. I enjoy the underlying premise of expanding the franchise and the philosophical quandary of supporting organized vigilantism. He even takes it a step beyond franchise building, with a stealth team comprised of Red Robin & The Outsiders, a criminal counterpart staging a “flashcrime” event, and a disinformation campaign as cover for his closest allies, as they play the global scale game of “a terror made of shadows and flapping wings.” I’m shocked to have found a book that I want to track down the back issues for and that may have given me a foothold back into the DCU. Well, I’ll track down the Chris Burnham issues at least, the Yanick Paquette stuff still seems a little shaky to me. Grade A.

The Lone Ranger #25 (Dynamite Entertainment): Let’s see, it was September of 2006 when the first issue of this title came out, so that means it’s taken almost 5 years to get 25 issues out, now that we’ve reached the conclusion. That’s not as bad as, say, Planetary proportions, but it’s still not great. Anyway, Sergio Cariello delivers his usual steely “resolve” which the title has long operated on. I think it’s interesting to note that the critical action moments, such as the horse call, the shot, the fall, etc. are all done silently, which gives them plenty of time to breathe on the page. It’s an interesting way of framing all of the action payoff moments. At times, Brett Matthews' script is oddly a little too on the nose for my taste, things like the dictionary definitions, or lines like “screw you, God” are much too overt, but if you’re looking for literally a TNT filled action ride vs. the more cerebral notes the title has hit in the past, you could do worse than this denouement. One sequence made for a little confusion; we see The Lone Ranger get one gun damaged, and then a second, yet he is somehow able to produce a third one in working order? I thought it was clear he only carried two(?). Oh well… the flashbacks are nice, the bullet cam was great, and I think this alternate origin reinterpretation of a pulp classic was overall a big success. It sets the stage for the property we’re more familiar with and ends on the right tone. Essentially, if the government and the people’s interests line up, you’ll find The Lone Ranger, otherwise… you won’t. Grade B+.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home