9.19.2011

9.21.11 Releases

Remember all the many weeks I’ve griped about there not being anything coming out? It’s a much different story this week; it seems like everything I’m into is coming out. Going down Diamond’s Shipping List, Cheval Noir opens with BPRD: Hell on Earth – Russia #1 (Dark Horse). I’ve not paid much attention to BPRD in the last couple of years, but back when I was buying both titles regularly, I always preferred this to Hellboy, and that cover sure is eye-catching. I’ve also been marshalling my interest for DHP with Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson’s The Massive due in January, so I’ll give Dark Horse Presents #4 (Dark Horse) the requisite flip test, but I suspect I’ll wait until a less hectic month to start buying it.

DC’s got my two Brian Wood regulars, with DMZ #69 (DC/Vertigo) marking just 3 issues left of the series, and Northlanders #44 (DC/Vertigo) marking just 6 issues left of that series! Of the infamous New 52, Wonder Woman #1 (DC) is the only book I can say will be a sure buy, thanks to Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. On the maybe side, I see Legion of Super Heroes #1 (DC) because I generally like the property, Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 (DC) because it’s such an awfully odd mix of characters it might just work – and I like Rocafort’s art, and Nightwing #1 (DC) because Dick Grayson remains my favorite childhood character of the now lamented DCU. On the “big book” front, we have the collected edition of The New York Five (DC) from Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly, along with the long-awaited New Teen Titans: Games HC (DC). As a Wolfman & Perez fan from back in the day, this could be really cool.

At the second tier publisher level, I can’t say that I’ll buy it for sure, but I think it’s interesting that IDW has Star Trek #1 (IDW) as a new ongoing series that will bridge the gap between the awesome new Star Trek movie and the sequel due out in 2012. I’m excited to get the next installment of Jonathan Hickman’s latest indie project, with The Red Wing #3 (Image). It’s not October yet, but this is always a fun treat, it’s the Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror #17 (Bongo). I’m interested enough to continue this series, with Spontaneous #4 (Oni Press) also due out, though it’s now listed as 4 of 5, which is news to me. I thought it was an ongoing. I’m probably most excited about Game of Thrones #1 (Dynamite Entertainment), and it’ll be interesting to see how this is adapted vis-à-vis the HBO series, and the novels, now that I’m just wrapping up the third book A Storm of Swords.

Marvel really doesn’t have anything listed I’ll be buying for sure, but I’ll give Vengeance #3 (Marvel) and Avengers: Children’s Crusade #7 (Marvel) a casual flip. Joe Casey’s Vengeance really failed to hook me strong on the first issue, but it’s still worth a look. Children’s Crusade is surprisingly the best of the Avengers books currently coming out, but it’s a limited series, comes out quarterly or something, and is sure to contend with Warren Ellis’ Secret Avengers at this point, but once collected the 9 issue extravaganza is going to be a powerful package of entertainment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home