12.12.2011

12.14.11 Releases

Two of my favorite books to read in terms of sheer comics enjoyment are out this week. They are Batwoman #4 (DC) and Uncanny X-Force #18 (Marvel). Both are recommended and continue to fire on all cylinders as shining examples of the mainstream done absolutely right. Although it’s strapped with that Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan moniker up top, which makes me nervous, I’ll probably check out The Strain #1 (Dark Horse) since the introductory issue is only $1. David Lapham and Mike Huddleston are a terrific sounding team, and I like the CDC/terror concept, if not the more supernatural overtones. On the collected edition front, I’d like to encourage everyone to skip that ridiculous $150 hardcover of all The New 52 first issues, and instead plunk down $99 on the Absolute Promethea: Volume 03 HC (DC). It’s a much better book and I can basically guarantee you’ll enjoy it more. It was a nice surprise to see the Nightly News Anniversary Edition HC (Image), highlighting Jonathan Hickman’s first attention-grabbing foray into creator owned works. Lastly, I can wholeheartedly recommend 20th Century Boys: Volume 18 (VizMedia) from Naoki Urasawa. What looks good to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home